National Certificate: Contact Centre Support
PURPOSE AND RATIONALE OF THE QUALIFICATION
Any individual who are or wish to be involved in the Contact Centre industry, will have access to this qualification. It also serves as the entry qualification into Contact Centre operations and management. This qualification will be registered at NQF Level 2. Portability across both areas of specialisation is therefore ensured.
Learners working towards this qualification will find that the acquisition of competence in the unit standards, which make up the qualification, will add value to learner`s job. This qualification is intended to enhance the provision of entry level service within the Contact Centre Industry.
Rationale of the qualification:
The National Qualification in Contact Centre Support: Level 2 is designed to meet the needs of those learners who enter the field of Contact Centres. Contact Centres have become key business tools – integral to the way organisations achieve their business objectives. Contact Centres are a new industry – there is a need to develop career paths in this field, and it is a high growth industry constantly in need of skilled people.
The Contact Centre industry is also fast becoming the next knowledge worker industry. All Contact Centres are currently recruiting, training and performance managing agents. Currently Call Centres sit inside of existing organisations within larger Industries, i.e. Banking, Insurance, PAY-TV.
The Contact Centre National Certificate at NQF Level 2 will provide the broad knowledge and skills needed in the industry and to progress along a career path for learners who:
• Were previously disadvantaged or who were unable to complete their schooling and were therefore denied access to Further Education and Training.
• Have worked in Contact Centres for many years, but have no formal qualification in Contact Centre Support.
• Wish to extend their range of skills and knowledge of the industry so that they can become competent workers in Contact Centres.
The National Certificate in Contact Centre Support: Level 2 allows the learner to work towards a nationally recognised whole qualification. The qualification will allow both those in formal education and those already employed in Contact Centre organisations access, due to its flexibility.
The qualification has building blocks that can be developed further and will lead to a more defined Contact Centre career path at various NQF levels. It also focuses on the skills, knowledge, values and attitudes required to progress further. The intention is:
• To promote the development of knowledge and skills that are required in Contact Centres.
• To release the potential of people.
• To provide opportunities for people to move up the value chain.
Many different roles and careers are linked to and affected by this qualification. They include, but are not limited to:
• Sales Managers
• Contact Centre Managers
• Sales Representatives
• National Account Managers
• Key Account Managers
• Channel Managers
• Contact Centre/Call Centre Supervisors
• General Managers
• Administration Staff
• Category Managers
• Telesales Clerks
• Sales Directors
• Client Services Clerks
• Quality Assurance Staff
• Contact Centre/Call Centre Agents
• IT Staff
The National Certificate in Contact Centre Support: Level 2, should produce knowledgeable, skilled people who are able to contribute to improved productivity and efficiency within the Contact Centre industry. It should provide the means for current individuals in the Contact Centre field to receive recognition of prior learning and to upgrade their skills and knowledge base. The qualification is structured in such a way that it exposes individuals to a set of core competences to give a broad understanding of Contact Centre support operations and the electives, which will allow for a specialisation of competence in either a commercial or an emergency environment. It will also promote the notion of life-long learning.
Benchmarking was done by comparison to Unit Standards/Outcomes of learning against:
• New Zealand and Australian Qualifications where these could be sourced.
• NVQ Qualifications from Britain. In fact the NVQ have compared the unit standards in this qualification and have approved the relevant unit standards for a period of two years.